Louise: Curled Bob – Layered Volume
Fresh from Paris, Louise is breaking into the fashion industry and enthusiastically exploring the Big Apple. Discovering the city, her initial impression has been of wonder and optimism, “Within three days of arriving, I ran into Mr. Big on the subway!” she exclaimed, “This is a city where anything is possible; here, just by meeting the right people you can do anything!”
Louise’s first two months have been filled with trips to landmarks and spectacular views. Her first visit to Central Park seemed surreal, “It was snowing so the park was deserted,” she described, “snow on the ground and on the trees. It looked just a picture, it was really beautiful.” For the styling session, Louise was dressed in subdued jeans with a leather-print shirt accented by a beaded eagle across the front and a single gold bracelet. Her chocolate hair was thick and curly, about ear length, so David felt a sleek yet voluminous ‘do would flatter and upgrade her cut.
1. First, I removed Louise’s highlights with a gloss and gave her a quick trim to bring out thick layers especially around the nape of the neck. Then, I distributed a dollop of Kerastase Nutritive Crème Oleo evenly throughout the hair to smooth and moisturize.
2. Using a blow drier and a curled brush, I began to replace Louise’s spirals with full bodied shape minus the kinky texture. I brushed down, directing the blow dryer over my brush to set this new style with heat.
3. As Louise’s hair is quite thick, I pinned sections up as I brushed and continued all around until the hair was mostly straight yet thickly layered with phenomenal body.
5. The goal of this looks is a smooth top layer with va-va-volume at the ends, so I often blew from underneath to further lift.
6. For matte definition and a slight tackiness, I smoothed a dab of Davines Dry Wax in my hands and worked it through her hair. I redefined her side part and layered bangs, then tousled vigorously and squeezed the ends to arrange the locks.
7. Combatting dryness from the blow dryer and product, I brought Louise’s healthy shine back with a slick of Kerastase Kultimate Oil Crèmethroughout.
8. At last, just a quick spritz of Kerastase K Hair Spray finished the style session.
Voila! A rounded bob with voluminous hair ‘round at the sides yet modern and flat at the top Louise’s—the look is complete!
Cutting curly hair is all about working with the layers. Layers equal volume and more defined curls so cut with this in mind. Modern shapes are usually slightly longer at the top with more layers towards the bottom.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!